28.3.06

Steal (draft i)

________________Steal
my affections and will in the
fold of Your love
I've been stolen and the adoption
grows on me, in me.
Callouses on forehead
I know when Your toenails
have been cut.

And it's just You and me in the
room filling of smoke from the
broken alabaster jar.
I just left when You called me
Pen rolling out of my bag when
I ran to follow You.

Still now, surprised still
by the cristae that I thought I
knew well enough
to make a map of this matrix.
The solid lines of buzzing colours
have broken out
to a fury of static
black or white and movement that scares me.
And a wind blows down
the antenna, into
my marrows.

________________ Steal, You are a Collector
shivering to see the tall necks
swaying in bark skins,
my eyes cold and dry in Your fierce wind
Fierce.
(You are a Collector.)
Like fire.
(Not a thief.)
To terrify with jealous love
and penetrate with washing flames

Here, I am collected. And my adoption
runs deep
to waters I will pass through
and
rivers that will not overtake me
and
fire I'll come out from un-singed.
... I've been stolen by fierce love
and gathered to His side.

3 Comments:

At 1:24 a.m., Blogger Daudi said...

I think this is one of, if not the most defiant anything(posts, letter, speeches, songs, etc.) I've ever read, seen, or heard. It is also one of the most eloquent tributes to the jealous love that Christ has for all of us. Which is not surprising, coming from you. To me, this poem resounds with both complete defiance and total, unabashed submission and desire. I really, really like the allusion to the Collector. It paints an image of a museum curator who spends hours and days restoring, renewing, collecting, and loving. "To terrify with jealous love", that is my favorite line in the entire poem. An excellent insight that I have only begun to think of. We do not like thinking of God in those terms, but I think we should more.
All in all, this is fantastic. Keep it up.

 
At 3:02 p.m., Blogger Erin said...

I
am
breathless.

(thanks for sharing your poetic genuis with the world- though I must admit that the toenail part doesn't seem to fit...)

 
At 10:54 p.m., Blogger valerie salerie said...

i really
love you guys :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home