6.4.06

Love

if i don't tell you,
can't look you in the eye
-split and splintering
-sputtering on the inside,
if Hallmark cannot say it
won't punch out my non-paper doily heart
if i can't pluck it out
off your cotton shirt
(pill)
if i can't sing long enough
for my lungs to weaken to bursting

if i can't

then know this
that your inscription on my hands
your circumcision on my heart
your piercing in my ear
your law on my forehead--
has not come off
since the day you
came and bought
me
saying
like you did on that day
that
i ________________be
_________________long
to you
and i _____________am
_________________my beloved's.

and when
i've felt the cool dew blades
of the greenest grass
stretching across time's acre
then maybe
i'll know what to say

1 Comments:

At 10:29 p.m., Blogger Erin said...

I LOVE THIS...why didn't I say it before? I don't have words (funny how appropriate that is), this is beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home